Saturday, July 18, 2009

Heart on Fire

I want to stay
Living in Your Light
Spirit come
Transcend the boundaries of sight

Take all that I am
I surrender all that I have
Transform my heart with passion

Change me from within
Hold me and don't let go
Make me new again
Lord, ignite Your flame
I wanna burn for You
Living just to love You more
You alone are my desire
Lord, set my heart on fire

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so amazed at how God helped me today
3 ways:
- understanding this song
- understanding passion
- recognising that I need to GO BACK

#1:
I wrote this song in a daze and when I was done, I read what I had written
I understood the whole thing, except this:
TRANSCEND THE BOUNDARIES OF SIGHT
I mean, I got what the idea of living by faith and not by sight but I didn't see the link of this to passion
Until, coincidentally, Pastor Daniel talked about passion during today's sermon
God spoke during the closing
Pastor brought up 1Kings 19:41-46
I can't say that I fully grasped it at first then Pastor explained it
It was like, WHOA, revelation...
Pastor talked about how Elijah kept telling his servant to go back
God is telling us to keep going back to the gift He's given us until you see the beginnings then start fanning it into flame
Elijah hid his face and ignored the fact that physically, there was no rain
He trusted what God had told him.
Now THAT is living by faith and not by sight
Similarly, no matter what people tell you, keep going back to that passion because it is what God has given you
DON'T GIVE UP
The lyrics He gave me said to look past sight alone and let the Holy Spirit take control
To not rely on physical fruit and but to rely on what He first gave us, the Holy Spirit
That the Holy Spirit prompts you more accurately than anything
That's something great (:

#2:
Passion was what we talked about during cellgroup.
I, for one, loved today's discussion
I realise I love it when things go deep (:
We have dominant and less dominant passions, just like we have dominant and less dominant spiritual gifts
Sometimes, we identify something as our passion then we discover that along the way, our 'true passion' comes along
Was it then just some wild goose chase? A waste of time chasing what you thought was your passion?
Nope, you were just developing a less dominant passion and now investing in your dominant passion
There's also the idea of chasing a God-given passion
For one thing, this passion is something that lasts
We should still develop whatever passion we have now because it could be what leads us to discovering our dominant passion
God's light is a lamp, not a lamp post: things are revealed step by step, not all at once
Another thing that was discussed is that God may have given more than 1 passion, perhaps one more dominant than others
The important thing is about finding ways to serve God with the passion(s)
I really think that passion, if not for God, is meaningless
It's like groping in darkness, just never finding that fulfilment
That will be an empty space that accomplishment through your passion can never fill
If not for God, for whom?

#3:
I realise that I've been distracted
I just didn't realise it till now
Or maybe, this is a case of giving up or 'postponing' the passion
Thinking that I'd just pursue it when I have the time
When Pastor said GO BACK, it felt like "CLICK"
SUDDEN UNDERSTANDING
He wants me to go back to my roots, go back to how I started out
Or rather, go back to the attitude I started out having
He told me that it's the hunger for Him that actually got me somewhere
That somewhere along the way, I'd gotten too caught up in other things that I had lost sight of it
There are some things to keep and some things to let go off in my life
I guess that's how we are
We let go of things from the past, some good and some bad
Then we take in more stuff, some good and some bad
Then we take time to filter through the stuff we've accumulated
And we start discarding over time
What are we really throwing out?
Is it things that simply take up our time or things that do not honour God?
What we choose to do with our time is so important
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out that even while walking that distance from the bus stop that my dad drops me off to school, I can be spending time with God
It's not even about listening to praise and worship songs while walking
I was talking to God and He told me to just look around and really appreciate the surroundings I've taken for granted
APPRECIATING THE FINER THINGS IN LIFE
*fine, in this case, meaning the really small things in life*
While crossing the bridge, so many things to thank Him for crossed my mind:
- that overhead bridges were invented so people could cross safely
- that it wasn't raining so that I wouldn't be drenched
- that traffic was flowing smoothly so I could reach school on time
- that I have the opportunity to go to school
- that I am fetched to school and do not have to walk long distances
- that I am in a school that is secure such that I don't have to worry constantly about terrorists barging in and taking people hostage
- that my school has not been shut down due to H1N1
There were some more but I can't recall them now
This may sound like I'm being real paranoid and pessimistic and possibly over-imaginative to even think of so much
We joke about these things but jokes aside, aren't you really glad for all these little things God has blessed you with?
Others are seemingly less fortunate
Maybe it is because we've overlooked all these little, minute things in life that has caused us to derail
It is time to take a step back and look at the big picture and see what God has done

Finer things in life can also be the people around us: minute details of life that you never really thanked Him for
Again and again, He reminds me how blessed I am for people around me
My heart goes out to God because without Him, I'd never have the opportunity to meet people who ahve changed my life
It's not about "WHY did I ever meet this person?!"
I realise that I don't ask that question any more
I think I've grown to appreciate people more
Maybe it's because God showed me how it's like to be a part in something amazing
I don't think I've ever done anything deserving of meeting people who've changed my life
When God placed them in my life, He showed me time and again that I'm blessed
Through influence comes action
These people changed the way I looked at things and so changes the way I treat others
The way I was in secondary school is NOT the way I am now
Like, far far from it
I look back and I always go: GOD, THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME
I may have been a Christian my entire life
I'm "born" Christian, 3rd Generation Christian, whatever you call it
But I think God has finally put people in my life that have shown me what it is like to LIVE the life of a Christian
THANK GOD

Every moment is God-given and therefore, it is a moment to live for God

No comments:

Post a Comment